Friday 2 December 2011

7 Quick Takes: The Puzzlement Episode





--- 1 ---
I'm not entirely sure where I lie on the whole headcovering issue. I don't think that I will be covering anytime soon, but I don't think I would be encountering the sort of hostility that other Catholic blogger's encounter. In fact, as the temperature has dropped down below 0 (Celsius), I've seen a staggering amount of girls using scarves as toques, face coverings and neck coverings all in one. Not to mention that there is a large International population at school, and many of those women cover and most people don't bat an eye. I wonder if the change is the fact that I'm in Canada and not the States? Or is it just the University social climate?

--- 2 ---
Speaking of temperature change, can anyone tell me what the Fahrenheit system is based on? I don't get it. Obviously, both Fahrenheit and Celsius are arbitrary numbering systems, but Celsius makes sense to me. Water freezes at 0 and boils at 100. Everything else just falls in between, which makes normal body temperature the awkward number 37. Although that's not as awkward as the 98.6 that Fahrenheit is.

--- 3 ---
Also, I realize I could just google the answer, but what fun would that be?

--- 4 ---
It's amazing how Google has take over the world. When I was young (wow, I feel old saying that), the internet was just starting out, and you had a variety of search engines like Mozilla and Spidercrawler.

--- 5 ---
I obviously have troubles walking because yesterday I split my third (THIRD!) pair of jeans, in less than a month, in the inner thigh. I think I have to learn to walk without my thighs touching... or I need to buy stronger jeans.

--- 6 ---
Our Lifeteen Winter Retreat starts today at 6! I'd be more excited if I didn't have a mountain of work to do before classes end next week. But really, it should be a very good weekend. Please keep the teens in your prayers while we talk to them about the need to make the decision, every single day, to follow Christ.

--- 7 ---
Something to get you in the Advent season! I got goosebumps when I listened to it.

Ave Maria, gratia plena
Dominus tecum,
Benedicta tu in mulieribus
Et benedictus fructus ventris tui, Jesus

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei
Ora pro nobis peccatoribus
Nunc et in hora mortis nostrae, Amen
Hail Mary, full of grace
The LORD is with thee
Blessed art thous amongst women
And blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus

Holy Mary, Mother of God
Pray for us sinners
Now and at the hour of our death, Amen

By the way, I didn't know that Ave Maria was the Hail Mary until a few months ago... Happy Friday!


For more Quick Takes, visit Jen at Conversion Diary!

3 comments:

  1. 4- That reminds me of good ol' Ask Jeeves. I sure miss that guy.
    7- Beautiful! Also, that reminds me of Rose off of The Golden Girls. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. #1: what is this headcovering issue?
    #7: i did that piece with my church choir last year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So make that four pairs of jeans now... gah, right before Christmas too.

    Katie - I totally forgot about Ask Jeeves! Now that I think of it, he was totally a precursor to the iPhone's Siri.

    Jen - In the Catholic Church women traditionally covered their heads during Mass as a way to give glory to God (coming out of Corinthians 1 when Paul is saying that a woman's hair is her glory). Now, it's not a requirement, but some women like to do it still because it helps them to focus on God during Mass. Most (I think) are fine with this and with the fact they can choose to do it or not. However, as with most issues there are radicals on both sides of the fence. I've seen some(only like 1 or 2) say that all women should be covering all the time, or at least all should cover for Mass. Then there are some others (there are more of these I think) that think that by covering those women are saying that we all need to cover all the time, when really they're just doing it for themselves and for God. Does that make sense? (Not the issue, but they way I explained it?)

    ReplyDelete