Thursday 24 November 2011

7 Quick Takes: The Procrastination Episode



Most of my school assignments involve using a computer. Being on a computer means it's really tempting to just click on that little internet button. Being on the internet (even if I try and tell myself it's JUST to check email), means procrastination. So here are some sites that I like to procrastinate with. Some are blogs, some are recipe sites, all are distracting.

--- 1 ---
Obviously my number one time wasters would be checking email, and checking facebook. Checking email is slightly less hazardous as when your inbox is empty, it's pretty hard to keep looking at email. Unless I go back and read some sweet email J sent or something. Not that I save those though... 

Facebook. Well. Does anybody need to be told of the wonderful powers of procrastination that Facebook holds? I could do my assignment... OR, I could creep pictures of my best friend from grade three. I think the answer is obvious, don't you?

--- 2 ---
Something I came across just on Wednesday is going to be my new best internet friend. It is called ziplist.com, and it is amazing. Basically the idea is you can look up recipes on it (they're partnered with many food blogs and recipe sites) and add them to your recipe box. You can also install the ziplist button on your browser and click it for ANY recipe on the web. It catalog the ingredients for you and save the location of the recipe. THEN, when you're picking meals for the week, you can just click on the recipe, and add it to your shopping list!!!! If that weren't enough, it's smart enough to know that if a recipe calls for something like flour, that you probably already have it, so it asks first if you need it. Amazing, right?
--- 3 ---
The very first blog I ever followed was Cam at A Woman's Place. She is a Catholic convert (like so many Catholic bloggers...) and she posts often about her children, her marriage and the difficulties of living Catholic faith in our world. She also operates three Etsy stores.

I'm at that creepy point where I feel like I know her, but I'm pretty sure she doesn't read this blog (actually, I'm not sure that anyone really reads this blog besides maybe Katie at NFP and Me and J...). But I really love reading about her life (and the creepiness continues... moving on!)
--- 4 ---
Bad Catholic. Marc Barnes is freaking hilarious. He makes up words like conflibbergating, and badassery, and shows the amazing awesomeness of the Catholic faith. Plus, I always learn things in his posts (did you know that Catholics had a specific blessing for beer? I didn't!). Love it!


--- 5 ---
Food blogs in general. I always go on food blogs with the procrastination excuse that I'm "just looking quickly for a good recipe for... (insert not fancy occasion here)". Except then I always end up on the dessert blogs, which is usually not what I actually need a recipe for. Although, I am slightly annoyed with the fact that there have been Thanksgiving recipes on ALL the food blogs for a month. Because Thanksgiving was a month ago up here in the cold, and I don't have any turkey to try those delicious looking ways to use up my leftovers.

--- 6 ---
I stumbled on this next blog through, actually, I don't remember how I stumbled on to this blog. But it's one of my favourites. Her name is Rachel. She isn't Catholic (gasp!) but she is sooo funny. She has a knack for turning the time that her entire family came down with the stomach flu into pure entertainment. She's also convinced me that Mom jeans are the worst thing a woman can ever do to herself. Her blog is called Grasping for Objectivity... in my Subjective Life.
--- 7 ---
Finally, take number seven. I haven't spent as much time on this last one since I discovered that reading blogs was a much better way to get insights into other people's lives, but I still do frequent the Catholic Answers Forums (aka. CAF). Although some of it makes me cringe, with the way people snipe at each other, there are good conversations that happen, and it can be very informative. 

For more Quick Takes, visit Jen at Conversion Diary!

5 comments:

  1. Grace, Redemption and Peace!
    We invite you to put this blog the image of the Lady of All Nations and the prayer taught by her for a fresh outpouring of the Holy Spirit in the world!
    "This prayer was given for the salvation and conversion of the world!
    www.virgemdeguadalupe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this blog and I guarantee lots of other people do too. Page views can't just happen by themselves. :)

    Also, I almost hate to tell you this, but you should check Pinterest for recipes too. I've found some of the most fabulous dishes there. The reason I hate to tell you it is because if you think Facebook is bad for procrastinating then don't go to Pinterest. I'll just check it 'really quickly' for an apple pie recipes and the next thing I know it's 3 hours later and I'm trying to find fabric so I can make my own custom lined curtains for the house. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the shout-out! And yes, you must have readers since I got a few link-throughs from this blog (and I creepily stalk my own site stats).

    And I agree with Katie - if you're looking for mucho procrastination, Pinterest is the place to find it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie and Rachel: thanks for the encouragement! Also, I requested a Pinterest invite a week ago. I'm still waiting for it. But I'm feeling a bit uneasy, as how am I ever going to get homework done now?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha Maybe wait until the semester is over. That way you can actually do the things you pin without feeling too guilty. :)

    ReplyDelete